When is the learning content available for each module?
- At the beginning of the month, the content for weeks 1 and 2 will be released.
- At the beginning of the 3rd week of the month, the remaining content will be released.
- There are 20 Modules over 24 months (no new modules released December or January each year)
What additional learning resources are available?
- Online lessons
- Notes to support every lesson
- Reading list
- Module Tutor (specialist in their field)
- Program Manager
- Discussion Forum
How many hours per week will I have to spend on the program?
You will spend on average 4 to 5 hours per week on reading and working through the interactive materials on the platform. You may spend significantly more time if you are engaging with the specialist tutor and your colleagues on the discussion forum and posting cases and questions, preparing cases, forum interaction etc.
Do I have to complete the Module within the month or can I take longer?
After the module month has passed, you will continue to have access to the SAM DL interactive material however, your specialist tutor for that module will no longer be able to answer questions. You will still have access to the discussion forum and the ability to view archived questions/tutor responses.
What if I have questions on a makeup module in SAM DL
In January each year, an internal medicine specialist will be available for general queries you may have from earlier modules. It is advised to make use of the specialist tutors for each module if possible.
What does the General Practitioner Cert. in SAM consist of?
- Complete the full online structured program with Improve International
- Register with ISVPS for the GPCert once you have started the 2 year SAM DL program (more information below)
- Submit a case report (2,500 words)
- Examinations – the full 2 year program must be complete before sitting the examination.
- Consists of:
- Online spot test exam 2hrs
- Multiple choice examination 4hrs
- ISVPS are responsible for invigilation of the exam via TestReach an independent invigilation company
When do the exams take place?
The first occasion to sit the GPCert SAM examination will be in the year after completion of the Improve International program.
Is the GPCert all online?
Yes, all the requirements for the ISVPS are online
How do I submit my case report for the GPCert?
Full details of the ISVPS processes are made available after you have registered with the ISVPS. You will be given a login to the Candidates Area after registration. ISVPS also have individual contact points for each country. email@example.com is the Australian contact address and any questions can be sent to this address for follow-up.
How do I pay the registration fees for GPCert?
- Registration is made directly to ISVPS – you will be provided with contact details allowing you to complete their registration form.
- Fees are payable at the time of registration directly to ISVPS.
- Ideally, the decision to aim for the GPCert should be made within the first 2 months of the program starting to enable delegates to benefit from access to the ISVPS candidates’ area.
- The deadline for the ISVPS certificate registration is one year in advance of the first assessment deadline
- e.g. If you are undertaking the 2020-2022 Small Animal Medicine Distance Learning Program, you should register for the October 2022 examination. Your first assessment will be due on the 30th of June 2022 and hence your deadline for enrolment with ISVPS will be the 24th of June 2021. Should this deadline be missed, you will have the opportunity to enrol for the 2023 examination.
How long do I have to complete the whole program?
The program must be completed within 6 months of the final module. GPCert candidates then have up to four years to satisfy ISVPS assessment requirements and obtain the GPCert.
I’m not based in Australia. Can I still complete the program and obtain the GPCert?
Yes. Location of study does not affect/change the program or the qualification you obtain. Additionally, all content is pre-recorded so can be viewed at any time of day (i.e. time zone differences will not impact your access to content). However, you may need to allow extra time for tutor responses (as tutors will be based in Australia) and if you are planning to pursue the GPCert(SAM) qualification through ISVPS, you may be required to pay an additional fee for remote exam invigilation, or to travel to undertake the exam in Australia. Please contact the ISVPS directly for further information (firstname.lastname@example.org).